Improv troupe to bring comedy to Parents’ Weekend

Members of the Freudian Slip Improv Group will perform as a featured event during this weekend’s Parents’ Weekend activities.

The Freudian Slip Improv Group will bring comedy, wit and improvisation to students and parents visiting Texas A&M for Parents’ Weekend Saturday night.
“We are a featured event, which was really exciting,” said Maggie McCullough, business junior and director of Freudian Slip. “I think it’s cool, because we have this whole group of people who have no idea what improv is. They have no idea that we existed and we get to come in and they get to hear about us.”
For Freudian Slip, Parents’ Weekends in the past have opened the door to private shows for groups such as Aggie Moms and various organizations on campus. 
There is a sense of childlike fun and make-believe with each practice and show as the troupe performs. Freudian Slip is all about having fun, which will be seen in each show, said Arsalan Abbasi, industrial distribution junior and co-director of Freudian Slip. 
The theme of this show — titled “So, how ARE your grades?” — will feature humor focused on the anxieties and stresses of being a student. 
“This one is going to be fun, because it’s our one chance to play towards our audience — because at every other show we have no idea who we’ll be performing for,” McCullough said. “It’s mostly students but having parents there is really fun because we totally get to play it towards the slacker college student.”
The group is expecting a larger turnout due to their larger venue at Rudder Theater, McCullough said. 
There is a sense of excitement revolved around this Freudian Slip show because it is completely different and the on spot, said community health junior Jennifer Frericks. 
“My favorite part of improv comedy is knowing that they truly are just acting on the spot,” Frericks said. “They don’t have any scripts, and they don’t repeat their jokes. I expect it to be really funny. I wasn’t able to go to last year’s parents’ show, and I think it’s going to be a good audience.” 
The improv show will begin at 7 p.m. at Rudder Theater. Tickets can be bought the night of the event for $6.