New to Netflix

Netflix
Photo by By Mariah Colón
Netflix

Each month, Netflix rolls out new content. From the Dec. 1 to Dec. 21, almost every week this month has a Netflix new release to be excited about. Here’s a list of shows and movies I’m most looking forward to.
I know December has already started, but I’ll begin with some things that came out on the first.
“Dark” is a new German-produced supernatural-mystery that actually looks pretty interesting. The trailer teases a kidnapping mystery that is deeply and intricately intertwined with the history of the town it happens in. “Dark” is a brand-new show, so I can’t speak to its quality, but the description and trailer was enough to leave me intrigued.
“Ace Ventura: Pet Detective” and its sequel arrived on the first, and silly though they may be, I’m eager to watch them. Classic Jim Carrey 90s comedy films, these movies are good for a few mindless laughs. “Ace Ventura” is one of those movies you watch, not only to crack up, but also to say you’ve seen it, and I’m glad to see it make an appearance on Netflix.
“Full Metal Jacket” reappeared on the first, after being taken off Netflix for a brief stint in November. This Stanley Kubrick classic is truly worth watching, despite its shocking and brutal nature. With some extremely famous quotes such as “this is my rifle, this is my gun,” and a cast that launched their career off this movie icon, it’s a war movie for the ages, and I’m glad to see it return.
“V for Vendetta” is another classic that was removed from Netflix only to make a return on December first. Rife with historical references, it’s a thrilling film, filled with action, conspiracy and revolution. Starring Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving, who plays his role without ever showing his face, Vendetta is iconic.
“Broadchurch” season three technically was released on Netflix Nov. 27, but I’m including it on this list anyway because I am absolutely ecstatic over it. Starring David Tennant as a rundown English police officer, “Broadchurch” is a magnificent show, the likes of which I simply haven’t seen before. Each season centers around a single mystery, a murder, or in the newest season, a rape that takes place in the small seaside town of Broadchurch. The show depicts grief and emotion in a raw, beautiful way, and makes full use of the setting and beautiful landscape to tell its stories. I am more eager by far to watch the latest season of “Broadchurch” than anything else on this list.
“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” will make its Netflix debut on Dec. 5. Starring Chris Pratt, Guardians is a quality Marvel film that I’ve seen twice, but can’t wait to watch again. It’s exciting to see such a big-name movie appear on Netflix so soon after its box office release earlier this year.
“The Santa Clause” movies (all three of them) will arrive on Netflix on Dec. 12, and even though they’re silly and childish, I’m still looking forward to watching them. Starring Tim Allen as the man who accidentally kills Santa and is then contractually obligated to take his place as the jolly fat man, “The Santa Clause” and its sequels are humorous and good-hearted nostalgic Christmas tales.
“Halt and Catch Fire” season four is coming to Netflix on Dec. 14 and I personally can’t wait. The show, which centers around a group of connected characters at the start of the computer age, has been a delight to watch. The show is a drama, beautifully done, that uses the early 80s and the beginning of the computer’s rise to dominance as its setting. The characters are interesting and well developed, the story is engaging, and the 80’s world is immersive. It is truly a fantastic show.
And finally, “Peaky Blinders” season four is coming to Netflix on Dec. 21. I add this to the list based on reviews only. I have never seen an episode of “Peaky Blinders,” but I have heard it is extremely good. Starring Cillian Murphy, Blinders is as much a period piece as it is a drama. Set in 1919, the show focuses on a ruthless gang leader and his plans to take the world by storm. With season four on its way, I plan to start watching the show, and you should too.
This list represents only a small part of the total number of shows and movies Netflix is rolling out this December, but it does include the titles I’m most excited about. Netflix is known for being fickle, and we can’t know when or if they’ll decide to take these titles down. So get watching!