Pecha Kucha Night to explore local work

The College of Architecture’s Institute for Applied Creativity will co-host a Pecha Kucha Night on Tuesday, a series of presentations in which people from around the community describe their work with 20 pictures and a time limit of 20 seconds per slide.
Presenters will showcase their work from a wide range of backgrounds including theatre, creative arts and robotics.
Joseph Morgan, department head of engineering technology, will present alongside his students.
“I am the ringleader for a group of 13,” Morgan said. “Twelve will be students from three of our capstone design teams. We’re going to try to do a group presentation and see how that works.”
Like many of the presenters, Morgan said the biggest challenge of the event is the short amount of time allotted to explain the presentation.
“Engineers seem to be complicated people,” Morgan said. “Anything done in 20 seconds is an amazing feat for an engineer.”
Rodney Hill, professor of architecture, will present at Pecha Kucha Night and said he will explain many of his pieces in his presentation.
“I’ve given several talks around, doing a full range of sculpture from things I’ve done here on campus to various churches and things like that,” Hill said. “It’ll be a fairly broad range tomorrow.”
Cade McGovern, anthropology junior, said Pecha Kucha is one of many ways Bryan maintains its expanding art scene.
“It seems like a bunch of local TED talks in a way,” McGovern said. “It’s just kind of a way for us to experience art in the local community and to learn a bunch of really cool stuff in the process.”
Morgan said his students will benefit from becoming acquainted with these kinds of presentations, despite the challenge of having so much structure.
“Part of the challenge here is, number one, removing pretty much all the words makes it difficult to be ready to present a complex subject using only pictures,” Morgan said. “And then being limited in the amount of time you have to be very specific. So I think all of these things will be of value to my engineers as they continue doing formal presentations to a variety of different groups.”
McGovern said the audience can expect a unique learning experience from attending Pecha Kucha Night.
“Being able to convey your message, your passion, your point in just that short amount of time and without that much material — it’s definitely going to be very challenging, but very exciting to watch and learn from in the process,” McGovern said.
Pecha Kucha will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the Grand Stafford Theater.