Quidditch to compete in World Cup 8

The Texas A&M Quidditch Teams will head to South Carolina in April after qualifying for the U.S. Quidditch World Cup 8 Tournament.
This past weekend both A&M Quidditch teams, Texas A&M and Silver Phoenix, competed in the Southwest Regional Championship in San Marcos. Both teams qualified for the World Cup on day one of the two-day tournament.
“World Cup each year is 80 teams from across the nation who have to qualify through their regional championship,” said Rosemary Ross, president of Texas A&M Quidditch and psychology senior. “So right now, Texas A&M and Silver Phoenix are two of the top teams in the Southwest to qualify.”
Texas A&M Quidditch has participated in the World Cup Championships since its founding in October 2008.
“World Cup is the event for Quidditch, that is the biggest thing you can do, the biggest tournament all year,” Ross said. “You can lose all the tournaments all season and World Cup is the only one that really matters. It’s like the Superbowl is to the NFL.”
Ross said coverage of the World Cup games in April that both A&M teams participate in will be available online with a live stream.