Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Thursday, May 16, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
No. 5 Aggies outlast No. 3 Razorbacks in 11-inning pitchers duel

If you’re a fan of high-scoring baseball, Thursday’s matchup between No. 5 Texas A&M and No. 3 Arkansas probably wasn’t for you. But...

Review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

Fun Fact: Thanos (played by Josh Brolin), the “father” of Gamora and Nebula, is the bad guy in the after credits scene of “The Avengers” and will be one of the villains in “Avengers 2: Age of Ultron” coming in 2015.

One of the more unique films to come from Marvel Studios, “Guardians of the Galaxy” begins a new franchise by following a lesser-known group of heroes from the Marvel Universe.
After recovering a mysterious orb in the far reaches of the galaxy, human Peter Quill suddenly becomes the main target of a manhunt led by the evil, power-hungry Ronan the Accuser. As events unfold, Quill falls in with other outcasts who band together with the common goal of stopping the orb from falling into the hands of Ronan.
Compared to other big-budget superhero films by Marvel and DC, Guardians stands out for its out-of-the-box approach to the genre. Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) is the token leader and the most developed character of the group. From the beginning of the movie, you learn his backstory and how he became Starlord. Pratt adds his natural comedic flare to the role and is able to give the character something that the audience can relate to.
The main scene-stealers are the computer generated characters Rocket Raccoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper) and Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel). Rocket is a raccoon that has been genetically engineered into a hilarious gun enthusiast who adds much of the personality to the film. Groot is a tree creature reminiscent of the Ents in Lord of the Rings that can only say the words “I am Groot.” Together with Rocket, they command the screen and always triumph over their adversaries.
However, the film’s story line is straightforward and similar to that of other superhero movies. Much like Marvel’s other team superhero smash “The Avengers,” the main group of characters has to put away their differences to face a common enemy and fight for the good of many, rather than personal gains. Much of the story revolves around the group’s chemistry and their unity as a bunch of outcasts. The character’s interactions are easily some of the best elements of the film, second only to the visual effects. Rocket, Groot and other completely computer generated characters blend into the environments extremely well and make the universe seem more realistic.
A more unique aspect of the film is the soundtrack. When the characters are captured, “Hooked on a Feeling” by the Blue Swedes floats in the background and brings nostalgia for the characters serving as a minor plot point. In commentaries, director James Gunn said he specifically chose the music to help the audience better relate to the characters.
Having made $94 million opening weekend, “Guardians of the Galaxy” has solid characters with great chemistry, amazing visuals, a unique story and a catchy soundtrack and will be a trendsetter for future superhero films.
Josh Seal is a visualization graduate student, graphic designer and life and arts writer for The Battalion.