Viz North: additional space for visulization students

Photo by Photo by Casey Dawson

Viz North Studio offers a space for Department of Visualization students to display their projects.

Visualization graduate students have been alloted extra studio space at the Viz North Studio in downtown Bryan since January 2015. Approximately a year later, the gallery was acquired by the Department of Visualization, allowing students the chance to display their projects and create an experience in exhibitions.
According to Bill Jenks, visualization assistant department head, the Department of Visualization required additional space to facilitate in Texas A&M’s visualization graduate students’ projects.
“Through contacts in the downtown Bryan business community, we learned of space available in the Parker Lumber Company building,” Jenks said. “This seemed to offer good, usable studio space for graduate students and had the added benefit of furthering awareness in the community of Texas A&M University and its unique visualization programs. Having an urban exhibition space raised the visibility of our students and their creative works further, providing an excellent showcase for public exposure.”
Meghan Cook, visualization graduate student, has a work space in the studio that includes a felt iMac she made last semester, various stop-motion supplies and a stuffed axolotl. Cook said she likes Viz North because of the individuality expressed in each workspace.
“The best part is being in close proximity to so many talented artists and the spirit of collaboration between everyone in the viz program,” Cook said. “Everyone’s artwork is always developing, so the studio scenery is constantly changing. The artists in the studio all work with very different mediums, so you might see one person painting, someone programming an Arduino and another person working on a sculpture.”
Aside from providing studio space for students, Viz North gallery is open to the public every first Friday and third Thursday of the month. On these days, the general public can participate in workshops, attend exhibitions and meet the artists.
Krista Fay, visualization graduate student, has an easel set up for her project space in the corner of the studio. Her work includes oil paintings, often pre-composed through digital processes, that reveal a collaboration with social media and art. According to Fay, their work will be on display for First Friday, a free event held in downtown Bryan.
“There is a lot of art on display downtown, and the work exhibited by our students compliments the more traditional art by often being digital, interactive and experimental,” Fay said.
Fay said she enjoys the collaborative environment and the ability to see the work of her peers. The studio allows for a constructive setting that rears the evolution of work and maturation of the artists.
“The gallery space is often the first exhibition space for artists in the viz departments, and I think we’re lucky to be able to learn and show our work in such a visible venue,” Fay said. “The walls are made of old brick and the floors on concrete; it looks pretty cool back there and the whole space is fairly large. I also love the location. Downtown Bryan is home to some of the best coffee shops, pizza joints, burgers and barbecue in town.”