No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

WBAC to bring prominent black activists to campus

The co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement will make a trip to campus Thursday for the annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Breakfast.
This year’s breakfast, hosted by the Woodson Black Awareness Committee, will mark the event’s ninth year and will take place in MSC 2400 at 9:30 a.m. Alicia Garza, co-founder of Black Lives Matter, a chapter-based organization that advocates for the rights of black Americans, will speak at the event. Garza, an activist for gender non-conforming people of color, is credited for inspiring the slogan when she posted on Facebook, “Black people. I love you. I love us. Our lives matter” following the acquittal of George Zimmerman.  
In addition to Garza, comedian, activist and author Dick Gregory will speak at the event. Gregory marched alongside King during the Civil Rights Movement, and advocated for the registration of black voters in the 1964 presidential election, according to his website.
Lyndon Pryor, adviser to WBAC, said whether the attendees agree with the speakers or not, he hopes they will be able to connect with their messages.
“It depends on what experiences, values and beliefs they have, as well as their understanding of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement,” Pryor said.
As of Tuesday, Pryor said there have been over 500 tickets sold, but the organization plans for 700 people and can fit 1,200 if needed.
“The goal is to get the event in front of as many people as possible,” Pryor said. “I believe it will be a phenomenal event.”
The breakfast has sold out every year with the exception of the one year WBAC held the event in a larger venue. Pryor said the event is not focused on teaching the past, but rather pertains to what the world faces today.
“This is not a history lesson,” Pryor said. “They’ll be talking about things that live and breathe in our lives today — ongoing things.”
Pryor said while some people will miss the event due to class, he recommends they attend a discussion later in the day with Gregory. The discussion is free of charge and will be take place at 4 p.m. in Rudder 501.