Women’s Chorus annual fundraiser sends singers for student’s valentines

The Texas A&M Women’s Chorus Singing Valentines are available on-campus, off-campus and even over a phone call.

Students will be able to send a trio of singing women to embarrass their friends, family and loved ones for Valentine’s Day.
The Texas A&M Women’s Chorus is selling Singing Valentines for their annual fundraiser. Today is the last day to order an on-campus Valentine for $20, an off-campus anywhere in Bryan-College Station for $25 and a phone Valentine for $10. Later orders can be made at a higher price. Each Singing Valentine also comes with a flower bouquet, candy and a card.
Students can order a Valentine from the Women’s Chorus table in the 12th Man Hall, the Choral Activities Office, or over the phone. Valentines can be sent from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. through Friday. Senders can choose one of five songs: “You Are My Sunshine,” “Babyface,” “‘Til There Was You,” “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” and “Love Me Tender.”
Women’s Chorus fundraising manager and chemical engineering junior Hannah Haw is in charge of Singing Valentines this year. She said the money raised will go toward their spring tour in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and their international trip that they take every three years. According to Haw, the most orders they have received in a year was around 210.
Haw said if a Valentine is sent during class, they will need to have written permission from the professor.
“It’s a lot of fun,” Haw said. “The first one I ever did, we sang to a professor and her husband had sent it to her and she cried and it was really sweet.”
Biomedical sciences senior Kellye Fernandez organized Singing Valentines last year. She said performances can also be uncomfortable.
“This group of girls went to the Rec,” Fernandez said. “They didn’t realize they were singing to the head male swim coach, and they were all at practice, so there was just a bunch of guys in Speedos standing around and it was really awkward.”
Texas A&M Foundation Human Resources and Maroon Coats Coordinator Vickie Cook was an administrative coordinator for Women’s Chorus, the Singing Cadets, and the Century Singers and has sent and received several Singing Valentines.
According to Cook, people do not show appreciation for others often enough. She said her father-in-law lived in senior living where most people there did not receive many visitors, so she decided to send one to him.
“Everyone would come out of their apartment and you could see their faces light up,” Cook said. “We started scheduling it for every year, and I bought a giant sheet cake. It became a musical presentation for all of the people in his home. They truly brought joy to that community of people.”
Cook said she wants people to know how hard the Women’s Chorus works for the fundraiser.
“I think service makes great leaders,” Cook said. “It is one of the busiest times for the Women’s Chorus, and they serve everyone that comes in. It’s all about bringing happiness to other people.”`