Freshman Heather Abadie stalls out during the pole vaulting competition at the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championship on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022.
Soaring for success
Youngchan Kang, JOUR 359 contributor • May 8, 2024

Supported by an athletic family background, junior Heather Abadie has continued to soar toward her ultimate Olympic goal as she sits atop Texas...

2019 Campus Muster ceremony moved to April 22

Photo by Jesse Everett

The first Muster was held in 1883 and was officially adopted in 1903.

The annual campus Muster ceremony will be held on April 22, 2019, according to Texas A&M university officials.
While Aggie Muster is usually observed on San Jacinto Day, April 21, the university has chosen to change the date of the 2019 ceremony to best fit the needs of the community since Easter Sunday will fall on April 21. The decision to change the ceremony date has been made after the Aggie Muster Committee sought input from a wide range of student and alumni groups.
In a statement, Committee Chair Helena Shakesby said Muster organizers are prioritizing the needs of attendees and those being honored.
“The decision to hold the campus Muster on a different day was made with extensive care and consideration for those served by our Muster and those impacted by the event itself,” Shakesby said in the statement. “Opinions were gathered and voices were heard throughout the process, with full acknowledgement of the challenge of how to best serve the campus community. The Aggie Muster Committee is proud to organize and hold a Muster that as many Aggies as possible can attend.”
When Easter Sunday coincided with Muster in 1946, the campus ceremony was still held on San Jacinto Day. The two coincided again in 1957, and no ceremony was held.
Each community is encouraged to set a Muster ceremony date that works best for its members. In 2018, 26 communities held their Muster ceremony on a date other than April 21.
For more information about the 2019 Muster ceremony, visit tx.ag/Muster2019.