3 Day Startup: Entrepreneurs welcome

Photo by PROVIDED
3 Day Start-Up

Young entrepreneurial minds will once again come together at Startup Aggieland this weekend to create potentially-sustainable businesses within a 72-hour time frame. This event — known as 3 Day Startup — will take place Oct. 7-9.

“It is a 72 hour experience that gives students who are curious about entrepreneurship a taste of what it’s like to launch a business around their own ideas,” said Blake Petty, director of the Center for New Ventures and Entrepreneurship. “The goal is to start something that might become a passion for you.”

The preliminary work for the event began mid-September when final applications were submitted and the Leadership Council, a team of board-approved appointees to the Student who serve as “wranglers” responsible for assisting at least one student startup. The Leadership Council chose the participants. One week before 3DS, the 50-60 students selected — 53 this time — are required to attend “bootcamp,” where they are taught the basics of what they need to know before the weekend.

Starting Friday, 3DS participants share their ideas for potential businesses and vote on which six ideas they will work on for the weekend. Teams consisting of about 10 students form around the six chosen business ideas, and spend the rest of the weekend developing the idea, holding mock presentations and compiling market data. Finally, finalized pitches are presented before potential investors on Sunday.  

Alexander Content, engineering senior, former 3DS participant and member of the Student Leadership Council, said the weekend is a hands-on learning experience where students can receive constant feedback from customers, industry professionals and mentors.  

“There are centuries of industry knowledge present over the weekend,” Content said. “And this year will be the first time where we will have business owners who started in Texas A&M’s 3 Day Startup as mentors at 3DS.”

Content said participants can learn a lot about being involved in a business from 3DS.

“As a participant you learn to look at things from a customer’s perspective,” Content said. “Learning to see that an idea may not be the best and understanding how to move on is important. Entrepreneurs become very good at hearing the word ‘No’ and thinking of ways to change that ‘No’ into a ‘Yes.’”

Kumar Sridharamurthy, former 3DS participant and member of the Student Leadership Council, said 3DS is not just for people who plan to become full-time entrepreneurs.

“If you ever want to start a company this is the place to begin,” Sridharamurthy said. “I don’t think you’ll ever find another chance like this. Even for people who are just interested in the idea of startups, it’s a great opportunity.”

Sridharamurthy said after 3DS many students continue working with their teams at Startup Aggieland.

“There are legitimate companies coming out of this program,” Sridharamurthy said. “They do not just work for three days and then say they are done.”
The 3DS Final Pitches will be held on Oct. 11 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. and are open to the public. Aspiring entrepreneurs are welcome and are encouraged to apply for next semester’s 3DS event.