5 tips for the Business Career Fair

Business Career Fair

The Texas A&M Business Career Fair will take place Wednesday and Thursday in Reed Arena from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Business students can prepare for the career fair with these five tips from Lisa Burton, career coordinator for Mays Business School juniors and seniors.

1. Go to the Career Fair — even if you’re a freshman

Even freshmen and sophomores should attend the fair in order to start building those professional relationships. While most of the opportunities are for juniors and seniors, companies will keep an eye on impressive underclassmen throughout their academic careers. Some companies offer special leadership development opportunities and conferences that are helpful in building your resume and experience.

2. Dress to impress

Business professional attire — a suit — is best. This includes knee-length skirts, ironed shirts, conservative ties and socks and low heels with minimal makeup and cologne. Be remembered for your skills and the value you can add to a company, not what you are wearing.

3. Do your research

The worst question you can ask a recruiter is what their company does. You don’t have to know everything, but you should have a basic understanding of the company’s mission, place in the market and positions that are being recruited for.

4. Take notes

Bring a professional pad-folio to keep your resumes wrinkle free and to take notes. Make sure to jot down important information like resume drop dates, networking events and names. Taking notes demonstrates genuine interest to a recruiter and people are interested in people who are interested in them.

5. Relax, but remain professional

This is a stressful time, so step away to the side or student hospitality area if you need to take a break. Remember that every interaction is an informal interview, so remain professional, but also personable. The recruiters want to get to know you.