66th Student Senate elects speaker

With two meetings remaining in the 65th session and until the next session takes over the legislative responsibilities, Christopher Russo was elected to the position of Speaker of the 66th session of Student Senate with a 73-0-1 vote and Student Body President Reid Joseph was sworn in.
In a presentation, Russo stressed his four years of experience in the Senate and outlined a plan to improve the quality of legislation and to communicate happenings within the Student Government Association and the surrounding community.
Russo said he plans to hold senators accountable for legislation by ensuring that senators involved with committees meet in appropriate settings to discuss bills and that bills are polished and factual.
Some senators dont take meetings seriously; they never show up to committee meetings, Russo said. Bills are not checked for accuracy, readiness and passage they are just rubber-stamped and put on the floor.
Russo also outlined a platform to not only mend tense relations with the executive branch and open lines of communication with Bryan-College Station mayors, but also to mold the position of Constituency Affairs Chair to encompass press relations. He said the chair would write press releases so not just the most controversial of our issues [are] put forth.
The election of Russo was followed by the election of Maci Hurley to Speaker Pro Tempore. Senators also elected Fernando Sosa as Rules and Regulation Committee Chair, Cary Cheshire as Finance Committee Chair and Keith Pattenson as Constituency Affairs Chair.