Aggie Astronaut visits Bryan Children’s Museum

The Children’s Museum of Brazos Valley will host a virtual event with NASA astronaut Michael Fossum, Class of 1980, during the museum’s Space Invaders Camp.
Space Invaders is a summer camp program based on anything astronaut related, said Catherine Utsler, marketing manager for The Children’s Museum of Brazos Valley. The campers participate in activities such as studying astronaut food, building and launching their own rocket ships and building their own planetariums.
Fossum will speak with campers via video Thursday from the Johnson Space Center about his time in space. Afterwards, campers will participate in a Q&A session, where they can find out all they want to know about being an astronaut, Utsler said.
“[Fossum] is a very accomplished astronaut,” Utsler said. ”The fact that the kids will actually be able to interact with him and ask him questions — that’s just phenomenal.”
Fossum has spent over 190 days in space on missions that required repair work for the International Space Station and helping deliver other astronauts to the International Space Station, according to his biography on nasa.gov.
Utsler said she was looking forward to and excited about the virtual call with Fossum.
“I have been down to the space centers many times,” Utsler said. “It’s always very exciting. I have listened to Michael Fossum speak before. He’s fantastic.”
The video call will take place at 10:30 a.m Thursday and is open to the public.