Aggie women earn first conference win

For the first time this semester, a Texas A&M basketball team brought home a conference win.
The A&M women’s basketball team trounced the Oklahoma State Cowgirls last night at Reed Arena, 65-52.
“I’m happy for the kids. I’m happy for the fans that were here on a rainy night,” said A&M head coach Gary Blair. “It should have happened long before, but it didn’t.”
The Aggies’ (8-12, 1-8 Big 12) lead was as high as 18 in the second. They shot 44 percent from the floor, and 48.6 percent in the first half, compared to Oklahoma State’s 39 percent for the game.
Blair changed his usual lineup to include freshman guard Jamila Ganter at point guard and senior guard Toccara Williams at shooting guard.
“Transition offense gave us some easy looks that we haven’t gotten all year,” Blair said. “Jamila was doing a great job, and Williams wasn’t having to do it all herself.”
Williams ended the night with one of two Aggie double-doubles, 22 points and 11 assists. The other double-double went to sophomore forward Tamea Scales, who finished with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
Scales, who started her second game in a row, led the team in steals with five.
Blair said he is testing Scales to see if she will lead the team after seniors Williams and forward Lynn Classen graduate.
“I want to see what this kid is all about,” Blair said.
Oklahoma State head coach Julie Goodenough said she was expecting the press defense but wasn’t fully prepared for Scales’ dominance.
“(Scales) really is doing a great job,” Goodenough said. “We were aware they have been playing her more and more; she adds another great athlete to (the Aggies).”
Cowgirl center senior Trisha Skibbe was held to only 12 rebounds, two below her average. The Aggies out-rebounded the Cowgirls (8-12, 3-6) by only one in the game.
It was the Aggie press defense that took away hope for Oklahoma State. The Aggies had 20 points off turnovers and caused three five-second violations on Cowgirl throw-ins.