Aggies can donate blood at Zone rally

Aggies will have a chance to bleed maroon by donating blood to the Red Cross today as part of the Rally on the Plaza at the Bernard C. Richardson Zone plaza at Kyle Field.
The rally was first planned as a party to boost spirits for Saturday’s A&M-Notre Dame game, said Miles Marks, director of the 12th Man Foundation. The Red Cross was incorporated into the rally’s plans following this month’s terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C., and the resulting blood shortages.
“We thought it could be a much more noble event if we made the event in response to the tragedies,” Marks said.
The Rally will take place from 3 to 7 p.m., and will feature the Aggie Wrangler Dance team, Aggie mascot Reveille VII and the yell leaders. Live music performances – including Bleu Edmondson, Jody Booth, Peter Dawson and James Hyland – will take the stage starting at 5 p.m.
The Red Cross will set up at 2 p.m. to begin the pre-donation screenings.
Concessions have been reduced to $1 for each event. A quarter from all purchases will be donated to the relief fund, Marks said.
The Red Cross plans to collect 60 units of blood today, said Theresa Evangelista, territory manager for Red Cross blood services in College Station. The Red Cross does not want to turn away potential donors, so they have increased blood collection, storage and freezing capacity, Evangelista said.
There is still a strong need for blood, she said.
“Even though our needs have been met in the New York and Washington areas, there is still an ongoing need for all types of blood in the future as we prepare to go to war,” she said.
All blood donors will be entered into a drawing for two seats on the club level of the Zone for Saturday’s game. Those unable to donate will still be eligible for the drawing with a $5 donation to the Red Cross relief efforts.
Funds go towards providing food, temporary housing and grief counseling to those affected by the Sept. 11 attacks, said Julie Maynard, a Red Cross worker from New York City.
Maynard, Class of 1997, will be attending the Notre Dame game. She said Aggies are always quick to respond to the “call of duty.”
“Whether it’s through a blood donation or a concession purchase, even the smallest contribution can make a big difference,” Maynard said. “Last week’s OSU game and this event really give deep meaning to the saying about Aggieland that ‘You can’t explain it from the inside looking out, and you can’t understand it from the outside looking in.’ “