A&M Board of Regents elects first hispanic board chairman

Photo by Hanna Hausman

Elaine Mendoza, the vice chairman of the Texas A&M Board of Regents, spoke to the National Hispanic Institute about leadership development.

The Texas A&M University Systems Board of Regents makes university history after electing Elaine Mendoza as the first hispanic board chairman.
As of Friday, Texas A&M Board of Regents elected Elaine Mendoza, Class of 1987, as the newest board chairman. According to the university systems news release, she will serve as the first Hispanic and second female Chairman of the Board of Regents in its history.
Mendoza was originally appointed to the Board by Gov. Rick Perry in 2011 and re-elected by Gov. Greg Abbott in 2017. Mendoza will continue her service on the board as chairman until 2023. She replaces former Chairman Charles W. Schwartz.
Mendoza created and serves as president and CEO of Conceptual MindWorks Inc., an engineering company based in San Antonio that focuses on research for biotechnology and health-centered software.
The board also elected Tim Leach, Class of 1982, to the vice chairman position. Jay Graham, Mike Hernandez, Michael J. Plank are also joining the board as newly elected Regents; they are set to serve until Feb. 1, 2025.