A&M chooses Reveille IX

PROVIDED
PROVIDED

Texas A&M’s search for a new mascot came to an end Tuesday when Interim President Mark Hussey supported the nomination of “Twix,” a 16-month old female collie from Overland Collies in Ohio. The selection continues the tradition of selecting a purebred collie, which has been in place since the selection of Reveille III in 1966.
Twix will become Reveille IX and begin her duties as the First Lady of Aggieland and the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets on May 9.
Tom Reber, vice president for Student Affairs and chair of the Reveille IX search committee, said Twix was selected over many other qualified dogs from breeders and shelters around the United States. Four finalists were selected from hundreds of applicants and were reviewed by two students and two vet school faculty members who reported their recommendations back to the committee.
Upon receiving the recommendation, Twix was invited to campus to be seen by the entire committee.
“Everyone agreed it was a great dog that was well behaved with good temperament, and had all the characteristics we were looking for,” Reber said. “We then asked the family if they would donate their dog, and they agreed.”
Reber said when the search for a new mascot began, the committee put in charge of the search didn’t have to look very far to find an example of the qualities they desired.
“As a committee, we met together to see what characteristics we wanted Rev to have to be a successful mascot,” Reber said. “We really looked for what they looked for in Rev VIII, because we all believed that she was a wonderful mascot, and that a dog similar to Rev VIII would serve the university’s needs.”
Twix comes to A&M from her previous owners Mike and Marcy Fine, of Overland Collies in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. The Fines have built a strong reputation in the collie breeding world, earning the Collie Club of America’s Breeder of the Year award nine times since 2000.
Mike said his wife thought Trix would be perfect for the job and sent in a video of her when she heard about the search in late 2013.
“They found the video interesting and emailed her back saying they’d like another video of her,” Mike said. “We took Trix to Chagrin Falls, and she wanted to play with all the kids. I took a video of her that day and sent it down to [A&M]”
Early on in the process, many students and former students alike hoped the new mascot would come from a shelter, or even return to being a mutt like the very first Reveille. Reber said several shelter dogs were considered, but returning to a mutt was never in the plans.
“Of the four finalists, two of them were shelter collies from Houston, so it was a serious consideration from the committee,” Reber said. “We said from the very beginning we said that we were going to get the absolute best dog for our new mascot. If that would’ve happened to be a shelter dog, then that would have been fantastic, but it turned out to be from a breeder.”
Mike said it is an honor that a university to which he and his wife have no ties considers one of their dogs worthy of such a great honor.
“I have to tell you, it’s pretty exciting,” Mike said. “It’s something that we’ll be able to brag about for years, right up there with our championship dogs.”
Reveille IX will be formally introduced at the Corps of Cadets Final Review on May 9. There will also be a campus-wide event honoring the new First Lady, with details still to be announced.