Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

A&M responds to Immigration Ban

Photo by File

Michael Young made a statement in a campus-wide email.

University President Michael Young sent out a campus-wide email Monday offering support and assistance to students who may be affected by President Donald Trump’s latest executive action, which bars Syrian refugees from entering the United States indefinitely and blocks citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries from traveling to the United States for 90 days.
The countries on the list — Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Yemen and Sudan — are listed as feeder countries for 220 Texas A&M students, according to the enrollment profile for fall 2016 prepared by the Data and Research Services.
“We have, over the weekend and continue to do so today, reached out to those we know to be affected,” Young said in his email. “Attorneys within the Texas A&M System are assisting us in identifying helpful resources that can be made available to those affected. Until we know more information, we advise that students, faculty and staff from the countries named remain in the United States until the completion of their programs or until they plan to move to their home country permanently.”
Young also assured faculty, students or staff affected by the action the university will work with them to allow them to continue their studies.
“For any students, faculty and/or staff who may be delayed in travel to the U.S. because of the current situation, we will work with them to ensure that they may continue their work remotely uninterrupted,” Young said in his email. “We are also working with our congressional delegation for assistance so that everyone affected by this order can continue their work without disruption or delay.”
Bill Taylor, director of International Student Services, also sent an email to students from the banned countries, advising against travel unless absolutely necessary.
“I do not recommend traveling outside the United States at this time,” Taylor said in his email. “If you choose to travel, please consult an experienced immigration attorney before leaving the United States. Please let me know if you and your dependents are inside or outside the United States. If you travel inside the United States, be sure to have your immigration paperwork and passport.”
Taylor also reminded affected students of counseling resources available on campus should they need them.
“On a personal note, if you need to talk to someone, ISS and Student Counseling Services staff are available,” Taylor said. “It is normal to be stressed.”
Young finished his email by reminding faculty, staff and students to be respectful and inclusive.
“Finally, and most importantly, we are Aggies united — inclusive of nationality, cultural identity, age, gender identity or expression, physical ability, political ideology, racial and ethnic identity, religious and spiritual identity, sexual orientation and social and economic status — so please respect each other, stay informed and support each other as Aggies do,” Young said.