Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

A&M University System announces Campus Carry restriction proposals

A&M University is one step closer to having a clear answer on where guns will be restricted when Campus Carry goes into effect in August.
The A&M University System announced proposed gun-free zones Tuesday. 

The gun-free regions were established by each Texas A&M System university and agency CEO and do not include classrooms and residential areas.
Proposed areas include collegiate sports events, healthcare facilities, the Becky Gates Child Care Facility, and any sites where administrative hearings and investigations are occurring. 
Under the proposed plan, certain high-hazard research labs will be gun-free zones at the discretion of the university president.
As the CEO of A&M’s flagship campus, University President Michael Young put forth the proposed areas for the College Station campus. In a university press release, Young said he considered proposals put forward by the Campus Carry Policy Task Force in making the decision. Young said he endorsed all 14 of the task force’s proposals and tacked on an additional recommendation that certain private offices be gun-free zones.
“I am immensely grateful to the 22-member Campus Carry Policy Task Force and its chair, Assistant Vice President for Safety and Security Chris Meyer, for their thorough review of all aspects of upholding and implementing the new law and their commitment to ensuring the safety and security of our students, faculty, staff and campus visitors,” Young said in the release.
Campus Carry, or Texas Senate Bill 11, allows for people who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun to do so on public university grounds. SB-11 also allows for restrictions to be set.

The proposal will be submitted before the Board of Regents for consideration during their April 27 meeting.