Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Anthis named Rhodes Scholar

Nick Anthis already crossed the ocean for biochemistry research in Australia in the summer of 2003. Soon he will cross another ocean to study, but this time under different circumstances.
Anthis, a senior biochemistry major, was selected as one of 32 Rhodes Scholars in the United States for 2005. He is the only student chosen that is attending a Texas university. He will be attending The University of Oxford to pursue the British equivalent of a doctorate in biochemistry.
Founded after the death of Cecil Rhodes in 1902, the Rhodes scholarship, the oldest international fellowship, gives the opportunity for students all over the world to study at Oxford in England.
Often considered as the most prestigious national scholars, Rhodes alumni boast names such as former President Bill Clinton, former presidential candidate Bill Bradley and the creator of Fulbright Scholarships, James William Fulbright.
According to Marcella Ellis, national scholarships coordinator for Texas A&M University, there have been five previous Rhodes Scholars from A&M, but none in the past 25 years.
“I found out about this Sunday morning from one of Nick’s faculty advisers, and I immediately e-mailed Nick to congratulate him,” said University President Robert M. Gates.
Gates said the achievement underscores the quality of education at A&M and is great for the recognition of the University.
Anthis’ main focus will be in the scientific field. He plans to pursue research in the field of protein structures.
“I will be in a worldwide scientific community,” Anthis said. “The great thing about science is that it crosses national and international borders.”
Martyn Gunn, associate department head of Biochemistry, said Anthis was interested in research since his freshman year.
Aside from his scientific endeavors, Anthis is passionate about involvement in the community.
He is active in A&M and the Bryan-College Station area as the former president of Aggie Democrats and the president of the Honors Student Council.
Recently, he also organized a photo exhibit on the plight of people without health insurance with a group of medical students.
“It is important to get yourself in the mindset in a part of a community. Here at A&M we have the Aggie community, but we are also all a part of the Bryan-College Station community and the world community,” Anthis said. “It is important to approach life as a part of many of these communities.”
Ellis said Anthis’ strongest point is his desire to institute change on and off the campus. “(Anthis) is not willing to adjust to the status quo,” Ellis said.
Anthis’ greatest role model is the chemist and humanitarian Linus Pauling, who received two Nobel Prizes; one in Chemistry in 1954 for research on the nature of chemical bonds, and one in 1962 for efforts to stop nuclear testing and promote world peace. Pauling was praised for both his scientific research and public awareness, a path Anthis hopes to take.
“The future is pretty wide open right now. Most probably I am going on and become a professor and do research,” Anthis said.