A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Antiwar protesters going too far, war a necessary evil

I am troubled that some Americans do not share my same respect for others and the property of individuals or the state. It seems that some of these antiwar protesters have no regard for their fellow citizens and are willing to trample on others’ rights just so that they may be heard. They forget that we are entitled to our opinions as well. I realize that many people will argue that burning the American flag is an act of symbolic speech and should be protected as free speech. However, that flag is an icon, a symbol. It represents America and the freedoms that we all are entitled to and enjoy.
It also represents those who risked it all to preserve those freedoms. I feel that no one should show such disrespect for our fallen heroes. I also find it ironic when these “seekers of peace” burn old glory as a part of their rallies and demonstrations because in a sense, they are destroying the very thing that represents their right to have their own opinion.
I realize that war is a terrible thing, and I wish that none of us would ever have to experience the horrors of it. Even so, the reality is that when all other means have been exploited and diplomacy has been blocked again and again, nations must go to war to defend those who cannot. Other nations must also ensure that murderous regimes abide by rules and regulations. Sometimes war is necessary and is the only alternative. Who of you Americans would argue that war is never necessary? Well, then you might want to consider changing your place of residence because this nation gained it’s independence through war. Or you might try telling thousands of Jews to go back to concentration camps because we made a mistake in fighting a war against Hitler. Or try telling a mother who saw her child used as a human shield by a dictator’s personal army that she must simply live with it.
Regardless of your viewpoint on whether war is necessary or if Saddam should have been gone a long time ago, you should show your support for our troops. You must show compassion for these men and women who are risking their lives in fighting for our nation. Pray for them and their families. Pray that the Lord will bring our soldiers back home safely. Also He will give the leaders of our country guidance and wisdom as they make difficult decisions each and every day.
Proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free…
Curtis Copeland
Class of 2006