Army ROTC recognized by award

Texas A&Ms Army ROTC program was awarded the MacArthur Award for the second year, an achievement that recognizes Texas A&Ms Army ROTC as one of the top programs in the country.
The award, announced Wednesday by U.S. Army Cadet Command, recognizes eight schools from among the 273 senior ROTC units nationwide as the programs that best exemplify the ideals of duty, honor and country, values advocated by Gen. Douglas MacArthur.
It is a sincere privilege to receive the MacArthur Award, and to do so in two of the last three years is a true testament to the values, dedication and commitment of the officers, noncommissioned officers, staff and cadets, said Col. Michael Gibler, Class of 1985 and Army professor of military sciences.
Army ROTC programs are awarded the MacArthur Award based on certain factors, including the schools commissioning mission, its Cadets performance, and its Cadet retention rate.
Drew Alders, Corps of Cadets public relations officer and senior agricultural economics major said A&Ms Army ROTC program exemplifies the excellence that the whole Corps strives for.
By winning the MacArthur Award, Texas A&Ms Army ROTC demonstrates the leadership development among Aggies, a tradition that continues to be recognized on a national scale, Alders said.