Author files lawsuit against A&M athletics, 12th Man Foundation, university employees

Hurricane
Photo by FILE
Hurricane

Michael J. Bynum filed a lawsuit against the Texas A&M athletic department, 12th Man Foundation, Brad Marquardt, Alan Cannon and Lane Stephenson Friday morning citing that “The Defendants blatantly ignored [Aggie Honor Code] values when they stole a written biography of E. King Gill — the individual famously known as the “12th Man” and the man behind the Aggie’s claimed 12th Man tradition.”
Marquardt and Cannon are members of the Texas A&M Sports Information Department and Stephenson is director of the Marketing and Communications Department. 
According to an article published in Friday’s edition of the Houston Chronicle, Bynum states that the individuals cited in the lawsuit, violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act along with copyright infringement. Bynum goes on to say that after a complaint on improper use was made, the department removed the story. However, Bynum stated A&M has refused to give him compensation for potential loss of revenue, stating that “A&M has abandoned its core principles of honor and respect in pursuit of money and power.”
The Battalion was unable to reach the 12th Man Foundation, athletic department or Cannon. Stephenson had no comment. Marquardt said any questions regarding the matter should be forwarded to the Office of General Counsel.