Beto rally in Rudder

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Beto O’Rourke held a second town hall in Rudder Auditorium for his senator campaign.

Students and community members filled up Rudder Auditorium Friday morning to register to vote and hear Democratic Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke’s campaign promises as part of his “Fight for our Future” Campus Tour in conjunction with the Texas Aggie Democrats.
O’Rourke, an El Paso native and current congressman in the House of Representatives, is challenging incumbent Republican Senator Ted Cruz in the midterm elections. This is his sixth visit to the Bryan-College Station area in the past year, and he still draws a crowd: over 1,500 audience members filled the orchestra seating, forcing overflow to the balcony.
“I always feel welcomed here by Republicans, Democrats, Independents and non-voters alike,” O’Rourke said, sporting a Texas A&M hat. “Before I see Republicans and Democrats, I see Texans, and before that, Americans, and human beings first of all.”
O’Rourke kept his speech short, focusing on hot-button issues including health care, mental health, immigration, education, veteran care, the war on drugs, opioid crisis, prison reform, climate change, LGBT rights and abortion. Human resources junior Sabrina Marrero said she sees new opportunities in O’Rourke.
“I came because I like Beto so much,” Marrero said. “I actually think he will make a difference. Ted Cruz has done nothing to change education or healthcare.”
Before and after the rally, Beto for Texas ambassadors and Texas Aggie Democrats registered attendees to vote. O’Rourke’s team was also distributing “Beto for Senate” stickers, buttons and yard signs. Georgia Neal, political science sophomore and member of Texas Aggie Democrats, was one of the students who helped host the rally.
“I like Beto because he is really genuine,” Neal said. “As an organization, we [Texas Aggie Democrats] really like his stances as a bold progressive in Texas.”
O’Rourke continually emphasized his belief in and love for the state of Texas, which he said is evidenced by his visits to every county in the state, and his refusal to take funding from political action committees (PACs).
“I still believe in this country, and Texas is going to lead the way,” O’Rourke said. “My faith is 100 percent with you and our fellow Texans.”
Cruz was also scheduled to speak at an event Friday morning just outside of College Station, but that speech was cancelled along with several other Cruz campaign events, as the Senator focuses on the pending confirmation of Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
The last day to register to vote for the Nov. 6 election is Oct. 9, and early voting starts Oct. 22. Visit brazosvotes.org for more information.