Black student group stages ‘die-in’ at law school

Members of the Black Law Student Association stage a die-in Monday.
PROVIDED
Members of the Black Law Student Association stage a “die-in” Monday. PROVIDED

The Black Law Student Association kicked off Black History Month on Monday with a day of silence and a “die-in” to honor victims who have died within the last year from police violence.
BLSA President Michelle Gunter said the event, which was held in Fort Worth at the Texas A&M School of Law, went smoothly and many of her friends were supportive of what she and the other members of the BSLA are doing.
“We’ve had a great number of participation and support and it’s just, it’s been fantastic,” Gunter said. “I’ve had friends who forgot we were having the day come up and speak to me and I just smile and they are like, ‘Oh my goodness, it’s your day I’m so sorry.’”
Gunter said the fact that everyone was so supportive was very encouraging, and she was excited to see people participating the best way they could, whether they choose to be silent for the whole day, just when possible or even just silent from social media.
The BLSA will host other events throughout the month of February for Black History Month. For more information, see its Facebook account.