Bobby Brooks wins SBP race after votes recalculated

Bobby+Brooks
Photo by Photo by Alexis Will
Bobby Brooks

Bobby Brooks, an economics junior, was announced to be the winner of the Student Body President elections Saturday evening, after a delay in results caused by a disqualification held back results. 
While Brooks came out as the winner in the reconfiguration, they will remain unofficial until certification from the TAMU Judicial Court, according to election commissioner Rachel Keathley, as posted on tamuelection.com. 
The results had to be reconfigured after Robert McIntosh was disqualified Friday evening after 14 reports of voter intimidation — a tier 1 campaign violation, according to Article VI, Section III of the election regulations — were filed.
According to the initial election results, McIntosh would have won if he had not been disqualified with 51.08 percent of the vote. After the votes were redistributed, though, Brooks, who was initially the runner up, won with 56.49 percent of the vote, according to the redistributed results
McIntosh’s campaign released a statement early Saturday morning disputing the disqualification and indicating they would be filing an appeal through the TAMU Judicial Court to overturn the disqualification. 
We are disheartened by and wholeheartedly dispute the Election Commission’s decision to disqualify our team,” McIntosh wrote in a statement sent to The Battalion. “Although I am disappointed in how [Friday] evening has ended, I firmly believe in the Student Government Association and the democratic process it upholds. We look forward to the opportunity to discuss this matter further throughout the appeals process with the Texas A&M Judicial Court.”