Texas A&M pitcher Chris Cortez (10) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Tarleton State on Tuesday, April 30, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Cortez selected by Los Angeles Angels with 45th pick in 2024 MLB Draft

Junior RHP Chris Cortez was selected by the Los Angeles Angels with the 45th pick in the second round of the 2024 MLB Draft on Sunday, continuing...

Brexit deals, Castro 2020 and the government shutdown: This Week in Politics

Julian+Castro
Julian Castro

Prime Minister Theresa May met with overwhelming gridlock over Brexit proposal
Britain’s intention to exit the European Union has come to a standstill after Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit deal was met with overwhelming disapproval by British parliament. On Tuesday, May’s Brexit deal fell through, with a vote of 432-202 against the proposal. Britain must reach a consensus on its Brexit decision before its exit date, March 29. An updated proposal will be put forward by May on Jan. 21, from which parliament members will be able to propose alternatives before they debate the proposals on Jan. 29.  
Julian Castro declares bid for presidency, makes first campaign trip to Puerto Rico
After declaring his 2020 run for the presidency on Jan. 12, Julian Castro opted to begin his campaign with a visit to Puerto Rico. The former San Antonio mayor who served as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under the Obama administration took a non-traditional path with his first visit as a presidential candidate. Typically, candidates begin with Iowa or New Hampshire, so the choice to catalyze his bid with the U.S. territory offers a distinct message to voters. Castro may end up being the only Latino candidate to represent the Democratic Party in the 2020 presidential race.
Shutdown continues into day 28
As the federal government shutdown reaches its fourth week, house speaker Nancy Pelosi has called on  President Trump to delay his State of the Union address, which is currently scheduled for Jan. 29. Trump has also signed a bill that will compensate federal workers after the shutdown ends. This will allow roughly 800,000 federal workers to be paid for the wages lost throughout the duration of the shutdown.