Camping out for Krispy Kreme

Photo by Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Krispy Kreme opened its College Station location at 6 a.m. on Tuesday

Students and community members camped out on Monday night to get a taste of College Station’s newest doughnut shop and a chance to win free doughnuts for a year.
Krispy Kreme opened the doors of its College Station location at 6 a.m. on Tuesday. A campout was held the night before where guests could enjoy food, games and a DJ from 5 p.m to 9 p.m. 
Public health senior Myrian Anuna said her roommate rented a tent from Texas A&M’s Student Recreation Center and camped outside with her starting at 5:30 p.m on Monday.
“I’ve always been a Krispy Kreme customer, but the last time I had a Krispy Kreme doughnut was in Houston,” Anuna said. “I had the first one about 30 minutes away from our house, and after I tried the first doughnut, I’ve been a huge fan, especially compared to Shipley Do-nuts.”
Approximately 140 people stood in a line that wrapped around the building. The store gave wristbands to the first 100 guests that arrived at the campout, allowing them to claim a t-shirt and free donuts at the grand opening. 
The first guest received a punch card allowing them to receive a dozen original glazed doughnuts for free each week for a year. The next 99 guests received a punch card allowing them to receive a dozen each month for a year. Guests who were not in the first 100 received a coupon for one free doughnut.
Local Mark Mannes and sport management senior Cheyenna Mitchell were both awarded the first guest prize. Both arrived at the shop at the same time, around 2:40 p.m. Monday afternoon, but at different entrances to the building.
“I’m so excited,” Mitchell said. “I love Krispy Kreme. It’s a back-home place to go for breakfast; that’s what I was raised on.”
The shop is located at 1312 Harvey Road in the Post Oak Square shopping center. The store stays open from 6 a.m to 10 p.m Sunday through Thursday. While the store is closed on Friday and Saturday, the drive-thru is open those days from 6 a.m to 11 p.m. 
General manager Brian Davis said the opening had a good turnout and he hopes students come out to this new location. 
“We had over 100 people last night that camped out; they were all troopers,” Davis said. “Lots of people in line, lots of students, lots of people from the community — it was great. We have Wi-Fi; we have music, we have good doughnuts and a lot of fun.”