Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Celebrating Black History Month in Aggieland

Photo by Courtesy

(Left to right) Hugh McElroy, Class of 1971, Stephen Ruth, Class of 1992 and Tanya Williams, Class of 1994, are all notable former students. 

In February of 1976, President Gerald Ford encouraged Americans to “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.” Since that time, Black History Month has been celebrated in the United States every February.
Throughout the month, a number of African-American-centric organizations will be hosting events at Texas A&M with the purpose of teaching and celebrating the history and people of African ancestry. Here are five events you won’t want to miss.
1. Game Night
On Feb. 6, the A&M chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) will host a trivia night in Rudder 402 at 7 p.m. The trivia will test players’ knowledge of black history and participants will be eligible for mystery prizes; The NAACP was founded in 1909 and arrived on the College Station campus in 1993. The organization’s purpose is “to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of minority groups” and “to promote diversity and cultural awareness at Texas A&M and surrounding community.”
2.History of Texas
The Center for Heritage Conservation will facilitate a lecture titled: “African American history in Texas: Context for preserving and conserving culture and place” on Feb. 16. The lecture will be in Geren Auditorium at Langford Architecture Building B at 6 p.m. The Center for Heritage Conservation conducts research that “promotes an awareness of historic preservation and conservation.”
3. Black Business
On Feb. 20, Black Wall Street will present a lecture titled: “The Importance of Supporting Black Business,’ in Rudder 401 at 6 p.m. Black Wall Street is an organization that strives “to establish a community amongst young black collegians within Mays Business School.”
4. Afro-Latinz and Politics
MSC CAMAC: A Latinx Programming Committee and MSC Carter G. Woodson Black Awareness Committee (WBAC) are collaborating on Feb. 21 to present a discussion about Afro-Latinx identity and politics in the age of Black Lives Matter. The event will be held in room 2400 of the Memorial Student Center at 7 p.m.
5. Celebration of Black History
On Feb. 25, the Black Graduate Student Association (BGSA) will celebrate black history at the Brazos Valley African American Museum. The event, titled:“Breaking Bread,” will begin at 5:30 p.m. The BGSA is committed to the identification, development, recruitment and achievement of black graduate students at A&M.
For more information about Black History Month at A&M, visit tamubhm.com