Celebration for John David Crow held Tuesday

Photo by Wesley Holmes
John David Crow Celebration

One week after losing A&M legend John David Crow, the Aggie community said goodbye for the final time Tuesday afternoon.

In front of hundreds in Reed Arena, Aggies past and present shared final thoughts on the man that devoted his life to helping and giving to Texas A&M.

“He chose faith, family and friends,” said host Will Johnson. “That’s what made John David Crow a success in life.”

Former Aggie women’s basketball coach and current Texas-San Antonio athletic director Lynn Hickey said she was hired by Crow as the assistant athletic director and shared a close work relationship and personal relationship with him.

“He had a heart of gold and his ethics never wavered,” Hickey said. “He never bragged about his accolades.”

Even bigger than his role as a football player, Hickey said Crow had a massive influence on the women’s athletics programs in his time at A&M as well, including hiring G. Guerrieri to start a women’s soccer program, and Laurie Corbelli to lead the volleyball program, both of whom are still in charge of those sports.

“He was more than a football player and more than an administrator because of what he did for the women here at Texas A&M,” said Hickey.

Hickey said Crow was close friends with Aggie great Billy Pickard, who died earlier this year.

“Can you imagine the greeting that Billy Pickard gave John David at the gates of Heaven?” Hickey said.

A&M’s winningest football coach, RC Slocum, said Crow was a man who gave his all to the school he cared for deeply.

“He was fiercely loyal to A&M,” Slocum said. “He did anything and everything he could to help the school.”

Chairman of the A&M Board of Regents Phil Adams said Crow meant alot not only to A&M, but to his family as well.

“Today is a celebration of everything we hold dear as Aggies,” Adams said. “He fulfilled A&M’s purpose of developing leaders of value. Number 44 is the only jersey number we have ever retired. It is a fitting tribute to his impact at A&M.”
Crow was honored at Tuesday’s ceremony with a video tribute to his life and the Aggie core values he represented, with his Heisman Trophy on display.

• Aggie chairman of the Texas A&M University Board of Regend Phil Adams speaks about John David Crow at today’s celebration

Photo by Wesley Holmes
  • John David Crow Celebration

Photo by Wesley Holmes
  • John David Crow Celebration

Photo by Wesley Holmes