Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) celebrates a home run during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Winning 9 to 5: A&M beats Tennessee in Game 1 of College World Series finals
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 23, 2024

While Texas A&M baseball had never appeared in the College World Series finals before Saturday, the Aggies played as if they were seasoned...

Offensive lineman Layden Robinson taken 103rd by Patriots in NFL Draft

Photo by Photo by Chris Swann

Fifth-year OL Layden Robinson celebrates with fifth-year WR Anias Smith after a first-down during the Southwest Classic against Arkansas at AT&T Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Known for his ability to get up and go, offensive lineman Layden Robinson will now seize his opportunity in New England. The senior was selected 103rd overall in the fourth round of the 2024 NFL Draft by the Patriots.

The Aggie from Manvel was a three-star recruit ranked sixth in the country as a center. Robinson spent all five years of his collegiate career at Texas A&M and spent three years as a starter. While he saw limited time playing as a true freshman, he earned All-Conference honors as a redshirt sophomore.

In 2023, he started 11 games. Robinson possesses long arms that extend to defenders and latch on and work well to displace defenders away from the ball carrier. His strong hands and good punch at the point of attack allowed him to tackle and control defenders, earning him the title of second-team All-SEC last season.

Having only played right guard in college, his skill set suggests he could effectively play any of the interior offensive line positions, including left guard and center.

From 2021 through 2023, he had the ninth-most offensive snaps at right guard. He had 1,105 pass plays, allowing 27 pressures and 880 running plays, with 20 snaps of blown assignments during those three years. He is also a two-time Offensive Toughness Award winner and Offensive Aggie Award for strength and conditioning recipient.

Robinson added to his resume on A&M’s Pro Day on March 19. He clocked in at 5.08 seconds for his 40-yard dash.

At the NFL Combine, he ranked No. 141 overall. For the guard rankings, he ranked 15th in athleticism and 13th in production score due to his exceptional running block skill set making his overall guard rank 14th in the combine. Robinson’s leap of nine feet and three inches at the Combine was nearly double his own height.

While the prospect has much to work on with his hand placement as a run blocker and proper foot slides during pass-rush movements, his size and versatility will be a great fit for the Patriots.

View Comments (1)