Convocation, birthday bash commemorate anniversary

A&M College of Texas opened its doors as the first public institution of higher learning in the state of Texas 125 years ago, tomorrow. Events celebrating the anniversary are planned for the duration of the year and will begin Oct. 4 with academic convocation.
“This is an opportunity for students and faculty to come together as a community to think about the past and future,” said Janis Stout, dean of faculties and associate provost.
Convocation will begin in Rudder Auditorium at 2:30 p.m.
The featured speaker at the convocation is Harold Shapiro, president of Princeton University.
A symbolic check will be presented to President Dr. Ray M. Bowen from the University Development Foundation as a symbol of all the monies raised from the past year, Stout said.
“It is a signature, formal occasion, and students might find it interesting and we encourage them to attend,” Stout said. “Inviting representatives from other universities to attend important occasions is a practice that many universities follow.”
Invitations were sent to all four-year universities in Texas, some two-year universities that A&M has special relationships with, the Big 12 universities and land grant colleges. As a result, more than 160 representatives will be traveling to A&M from across the nation, including representatives from France, Switzerland, Costa Rica and Mexico, said Nancy Sawtelle, director of administrative services.
The convocation itself is a procession from Cushing Library to Rudder Tower, where faculty, staff and students will march together. Faculty will be dressed in their formal graduation regalia.
“It is a fun, festive occasion. More than 300 people will be in the procession,” Stout said.
A 125th anniversary coffee is going to be held the morning of Oct. 4 from 8 to 10 a.m. at the G. Rollie White Coliseum. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to come, said Rose Sauser, with University Relations. A new video of the history of A&M will be shown. Also, a new portrait of Sterling C. Evans will be unveiled in the recognition suite in Evans Library at 11 a.m.
On Oct. 3, a birthday bash will be held to help students celebrate the University’s anniversary.
Events will start with a barbecue picnic sponsored by Food Services from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. on O.R. Simpson Drill Field. Aggie Bucks and meal plans will be accepted. Beginning at 6 p.m., bands and student groups will perform until 12 a.m., when an Old Army-style Yell will be held on the steps of the YMCA building, according to Veronica Saenz, chairwoman of the 125th Celebration Student Committee. At the yell’s conclusion, the Brazos County Aggie Mom’s Club will serve coffee and donuts, Saenz said.
“This event is for any student who wants to come and be a part of the 125th celebration,” Saenz said.
A Black Tie 125th Anniversary Celebration Gala will be held in Reed Arena starting at 7 p.m. The Gala is by invitation only.