76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Corps book author celebrates 125th with book signing

John A. Adams, Jr., Class of 1973, will be one of many alumni in town this weekend celebrating the 125th anniversary of the Corps of Cadets. But one thing sets Adams apart from the rest – he is the author of a new book titled Keepers of the Spirit: The Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University, 1876-2001.
This non-fiction novel expounds on the many traditions within the Corps, as well as its history and conception.
Adams said that he drew on his understanding of school tradition and the Corps to help him write this, his third book. As a former cadet in the Corps, Adams said he has an inside grasp of the importance the Corps has played in the development of Texas A&M University since its establishment in 1876.
Adams said that he was amazed that no one had written a book about this before now.
“I began researching for this book about 12-15 years ago,” Adams said. “I started [researching] when they just had a pile of boxes in the basement [of the Cushing Library].”
Adams also read many personal diaries, memoirs and conducted dozens of interviews.
Due to all of this research, Adams said he was able to discover many unknown and mis-stated facts about the Corps and the University.
Adams will hold two book signings today, from 1-4 p.m. at the Sanders Corps of Cadets Center and at the Barnes and Noble Bookstore on Texas Avenue from 5:30 to 7:45 p.m.