Corps commander steps down

Corps of Cadets Commander John Huffman requested to be suspended of his duties during the course of a hazing investigation by the Corps and the dean of Student Life.
“An incident on the night of Nov. 22 has prompted an investigation into possible instances of hazing on several counts,” said Huffman, a senior finance major. “Because of my proximity to the situation and the persons involved, I have asked Commandant of Cadets Lt. Gen. (John) Van Alstyne to temporarily suspend my duties as Corps Commander, pending the conclusion of the investigation.”
Huffman said the commandant had approved the request.
“I take this action in order to separate my position from the situation and plan to cooperate fully with the administration to see the investigation come to a swift and equitable end,” Huffman said. “I will discuss the details of the situation at a later date after the conclusion of the investigation.”
Commanders in the Corps have expressed support for Huffman during the course of the investigation.
“We all make mistakes,” said Aaron Cavazos, first wing commander and a junior agricultural development major. “John Huffman is an extremely smart person, but no different than anyone else. He knows he messed up, and he’s taking responsibility for his actions.”
University Police Department and the Office of University Relations would neither confirm nor deny whether the incident was being considered as hazing.
“I can confirm that there is an investigation,” said Cynthia Lawson, executive director of the Office of University Relations. “The situation is being investigated, and until that investigation is complete, it is inappropriate for us to comment.”
Lawson said the investigation would last approximately seven to 10 days.
Calls to the commandant’s office were not immediately returned, and Corps representatives declined comment.
“It is inappropriate for myself or the Corps to make a statement about an ongoing investigation,” said Charles Glover, Corps public information officer and a senior sociology major.
No decision has been made as to whether Huffman will be reinstated. Kyle Tobin, deputy Corps commander and a senior electrical engineering major has assumed the role of Corps commander.