Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Do good’: Songfest to take over Rudder Friday

The largest Songfest yet will hit Rudder Auditorium this weekend with a variety show featuring 26 student organizations competing for money for their philanthropies.
“Do good,” is the mantra behind Texas A&M Chi Omega Songfest, said Tayler Slocum, communication senior and overall chair for Songfest 2014.
“Throughout all of the hustle and bustle and excitement and nerves, it’s a sweet, simple reminder of what Songfest is really about — doing good for the philanthropies,” Slocum said.
With more organizations in the show, more philanthropies are benefitting financially.
“The cool thing about Songfest is that regardless of what place the act comes in, their organization will take home no less than $2,000 for their philanthropy,” Slocum said. “The acts that place walk away with even more money for their philanthropy.”
This year, 24 philanthropic organizations will benefit from Songfest, Slocum said.
The student organizations in the show have been preparing and practicing since the beginning of the semester.
“They come up with their own theme, choreography, costumes, etc. They even sell T-shirts — they really do it all,” Slocum said. “They rock. They are the heartbeat behind this event. Without them selflessly giving up their time, we wouldn’t have a show.”
For each act, a male organization is paired with a female organization and will be judged on entertainment value, theme development, creativity, choreography, T-shirt sales and points earned in the social media contest, said philanthropy chair on Songfest, Samantha Braun.
The competition begins at 7 p.m. Friday.