First Friday puts student artists on display with Viz-A-GoGo

Bryan’s monthly community gathering, First Friday will incorporate student art into it’s regular festivities May 5.

From May 3 through May 6 the student led project, Viz-A-GoGo will be hosted in downtown Bryan to display the artwork of students within the Department of Visualization. The works featured on May 6 consist of animation and screen recordings and will be shown in the Palace Theater with gates opening at 7 p.m. The art work will include animations, video games, graphic design, interactive work, virtual reality, drawings, paintings and photography.

Fourth year Master of Fine Arts student Gretchen Freitag said Viz-a-GoGo aims to display everyone’s hard work and creativity.

“Viz-A-GoGo is a student run exhibition of all the work we have made in the last year,” Freitag said. “We get support from the department but it is mainly run by students, created by students, organized by students and it is the students who are passionate about it who keep it going.”

This passion is shared by second year Master of Fine Arts student and member of the core group of Viz-a-GoGo Sebastian Kawar. Kawar said the point of the event is to attract people who may not know about the type of artwork that students in the Department of Visualization are working on.

“It’s to get people that usually don’t get exposed to this kind of stuff,” Kawar said. “It is totally meant to be accessible.”

Viz-a-GoGo will be separated into three different locations in downtown Bryan and the events themselves will be spread out through three days. Kawar said while the event starts on May 3, things do not really kick off until May 5.

Visualization junior Chris Mercado said he went to Viz-A-GoGo in the past and said the event draws in a wide variety of people.

“People there range from students to parents to professors and even locals,” Mercado said.  “They will come to see what is going on and what is happening at Texas A&M, specifically in Viz.”
The event is free to the public and will be hosted at, The Ice House on Main, The Palace Theater and Blackwater Draw Brewing Company. To learn more about Viz-A-GoGo you can visit the Viz-A-GoGo website at http://vizagogo.tamu.edu/