Five days in, search for 12 Marines ends

The U.S. Coast Guard halted its search Wednesday for the 12 Marines who went missing off the coast of Hawaii. One of the missing marines is A&M graduate Maj. Shawn Campbell, who disappeared along with his 11 cohorts after two Marine Super Stallion helicopters crashed off the coast of Hawaii on Jan. 14 during a military training drill. 

At a news conference Tuesday in Hawaii, Capt. James Jenkins, commander of the Coast Guard’s 14th District, said searchers discovered some wreckage from the helicopters 2 miles offshore on the ocean floor, but found no survivors. Search teams have now begun a salvage and recovery mission.

“I know that nothing can ease the pain of the families of those missing, but I hope that the efforts and the knowledge that so many were willing to put forth so much effort to try to bring those Marines home will provide some solace in the future,” Jenkins said at the conference.

A memorial for the Marines is scheduled for Friday at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, according to the Marine Corps Times