Former Deputy Chancellor of A&M System Jay Kimbrough dies at 72

Jay+Kimbrough
Photo by via KBTX
Jay Kimbrough

Former Texas A&M System Deputy Chancellor Jay Kimbrough died at the age of 72.
According to an article by The Eagle, Kimbrough was a Vietnam War veteran in the Marines. He also was the former chief of staff for former Governor Rick Perry and has worked for the A&M System since 2006, performing multiple jobs throughout the years until 2012.
“In addition to deputy chancellor and general counsel, he had also worked as special adviser to the board and interim chancellor,” the article read. “He had also served as conservator of the Texas Youth Commission, as Texas’ director of Homeland Security, deputy attorney general and executive director of the Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.”
In a statement sent to The Battalion, Vice Chancellor of Marketing and Communications for the university system Laylan Copelin said Kimbough contributed greatly to the state of Texas.
“Jay did so many good things in state government, particularly in dealing with the youth of our state,” the statement read. “He will be remembered for his ability to make things happen and make them happen well and efficiently. He was a good public servant and a good man.”
There will be a visitation in College Station on Sept. 13 at Hillier Funeral Home. Kimbrough is to be buried with military honors in the Dallas-Fort Worth National Cemetery on Sept. 15.