Fresh from The Grapevine

Finding good barbecue or hamburgers in Aggieland is like that phrase “shooting fish in a barrel.” Our town is populated with plenty of great places for greasy eating.
The Grapevine hopes to add some balance in the community. Counting Cafe Eccell and Christopher’s World Grille, there have been only a couple of options for a peaceful atmosphere and quality dining.
Once a 25-year-old mainstay of College Station, The Grapevine reopened at the beginning of the month under new ownership. General Manager Jodi Herod said, “People can expect a lot of the old favorites, but we have really focused on adding a balanced menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner.”
But always present on the menu is “Patsy’s Famous Full-Sized Twice Baked Potato.” Named after the previous owner, the twice-baked potato was one of the key offerings of The Grapevine.
Atmosphere: While the exterior is unassuming, the inside is well-appointed with rich wood colors and mood lighting. Herod said they focused on creating a quiet, relaxing environment for conversation.
What to Wear: “Just because we have a nice interior, don’t feel like you are underdressed!” Sawyer said. “We had a girl come in today wearing sweat pants, and when she saw the linen-covered tables she tried to leave. I told her, ‘Don’t worry! We want you to be comfortable.'” However, you will feel more comfortable wearing khakis instead of jeans and a Polo instead of a T-shirt.
Crowd Appeal: Breakfast looks like it could be a hit with menu entries like “potato egg cakes” and French toast soaked in a Grand Marnier mixture. The Grapevine employs an in-house baker, who reportedly makes great croissants with strawberry butter.
Collateral Damage: $$$$ of $$$$$. Quality isn’t cheap. The famous twice-baked potato and the soup and salad combo are each $7. Lunch sandwiches range from $8 to $13, and a large bowl of soup fetches $7 to $8. Breakfast is more modestly priced at $4 to $6.