Games of Texas set to return to Bryan-College Station

2014-2015 TAAF Games of Texas begins Thursday, July 30th 

For the second consecutive year, the Games of Texas will be hosted by Bryan-College Station in partnership with Texas A&M. The Olympic style amateur games will be held from July 30 through Aug. 3 and will have competition that will span throughout the Brazos Valley twin cities.
Over the course of the five-day competition, athletes will compete in events including boxing, skate- boarding, golf, tennis, swimming, pickleball, track & field, archery, disk golf, judo and soccer.
Kelli Nesbitt, Marketing Coordinator for the Col- lege Station Parks and Recreation department, said the Games have been hosted all around the state of Texas but there may not be any more favored venue for the Olympic style event than Bryan-College Station.
“Last year we received multiple comments on ‘this being the best games yet,’” Nesbitt said. “We attribute that to the hometown hospitality and premier athletic facilities in Bryan-College Station including Texas A&M University Blue Bell Park, Mitchell Tennis Center, Rec Center, College Station High School, G. Hysmith Skate Park and more.”
Nesbitt said the Games will have an impact on the local economy, and have a track record to prove it.
“In 2014, only 220 participants were from Col- lege Station, which means the rest – along with about 20,000 of their coaches, family members and friends – were visitors who dropped an estimated $6 million into the local economy over a four day period,” said Nesbitt.
The Games held in 2014 had one of the most competitive turnouts in the history of the competition. There were 97 Games of Texas records set in 2014 including 33 in Track and Field as well as 64 in swim- ming.
Nesbitt said it is a treat for the athletes of all ages to compete in a venue that has first class facilities such as those at Texas A&M University.
“Not often do youth athletes get the opportunity to compete in world class facilities such at the Texas A&M Rec Center and Mitchell Tennis Center,” said Nesbitt. “Swimming being held at the Texas A&M Rec Center has been the talk of TAAF for the past year.”
The open ceremony of the Games will be held at Blue Bell Park on Friday at 6:45 p.m. The athletes will be led into the park by the First Lady of Aggieland, Reveille IX.