George Bush Library hosts birthday celebration for namesake

Photo by Savannah Mehrtens

Public programs coordinator Tracey Paine, anthropology senior Kaela Clark and political science senior Ashtyn Davis cut the Bush’s birthday cake. The free food was a selling point of the event.

The George H.W. Bush Library and Museum hosted a birthday celebration in honor of former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush’s birthday on Friday, June 9 free for the public community.

The event was held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the lobby of the museum. Cake, popcorn, and Blue Bell ice cream were provided to celebrate the birthdays of the former president and first lady. Barbara Bush’s birthday was the day before on June 8, and George H. W. Bush’s birthday was June 12. 

The suggested attire according the invitation was pearls and socks. The fashion represented Barbara Bush’s classic pearls and George H.W. Bush’s newly acquired crazy sock fashion, according to Tracey Paine, the public programs director.

“Barbara is known for her pearls, of course,” Paine said. “She always wears her three strand of pearls, and usually some pearl earrings as well. He’s really been in the news lately for his crazy socks, that’s kind of become his trademark…Just to honor both of them, we do both.”

Anthropology senior  Kaela Clark, a summer intern at the Bush Presidential Library and Museum, said that it is important to celebrate the lives of the Bush family. 

“This event was celebrating together George Bush’s and Barbara Bush’s birthday,” Clark said. “It’s really important just to remember our past, and the people who helped get us through some difficult times in our country’s past.”

Management professor Ed Elmore asked his business law students to meet with him at the celebration. Accounting senior Zoe Zeller was one of Elmore’s students who came to the celebration. 

“We actually had a professor conference after class, and he said ‘Why not just meet here and celebrate the Bush’s at the same time,’” Zeller said. 

Paine said that it is common for presidential libraries to celebrate the birthday of their namesake, but some stand out from the rest. 

“They have been here for some of the bigger ones, like 41 in ‘80, he actually parachuted onto the grounds, they had a huge tent and a big party,” Paine said. “We just like to celebrate them and their legacy, so we do this every year.”  

Paine said the Bush’s dedication to one another and their lasting legacy were honored through the celebration. 

“They’ve been married for 73 years, so [the event was] celebrating the long, happy life they’ve had,” Paine said.