GPSC begins work on resolution to support increased funding for transportation services

The Graduate and Professional Student council, GPSC, devoted a significant portion of their general assembly meeting Tuesday evening to discuss supporting an increase in transportation services funding.

The resolution-based ideas in “A Resolution in Support of Transportation Services Increased Funding,” was presented to the GPSC by Daniel Vecellio, a geography doctorate student and the vice president of university affairs-elect of the GPSC, during their general assembly April 19. The main idea of the resolution was a call-to-action, for the Transportation Services, to more effectively budget and plan for bus services.
“There are a lot of current situational problems facing Transportation Services, where the money just isn’t there for,” Vecellio said.

According to the presentation given during their meeting, in 2015 the Transportation Services received a $7.6 million budget to cover labor, retirees, gas, repairs and replacements, and acquired a vast amount of revenue through parking, passes, violations, garage tolls and bus rentals. Transportation Services receives around $65-70 per student each semester, a system established by former A&M President, Bowen Loftin, referred to as “University Advancement Fees.”

Despite the multi-million dollar budget, complex budget challenges are arising for the Texas A&M Transportation Services. As the 60,000 student population continues to grow, the number of bus riders and desired parking spaces are growing as well, Vecellio said.

“The parking spaces across campus are nearly full, so with the increase in students on campus, they won’t be able to get a parking spot on campus, because nearly every spot is filled on this campus,” Vecellio said. “If you don’t have a bus and can’t get a parking spot, have fun walking in the rain.”

This complementary relationship of increasing numbers and growing transit needs creates a challenge for the Transportation Services, Vecellio said.

After presenting the resolution to the Graduate and Professional Student Council, Vecellio said some unexpected delays came to light just three hours before the general assembly was expected to meet.

He said the accountant that oversees the budgeting and revenue intake in Transportation Services noticed a disparity in the allotment received and student population, which will prevent the GPSC from copying and delivering the document to President Michael Young any time soon.

In response to this unexpected wrench in the works, the Graduate and Professional Student Council unanimously motioned to table the resolution until the next general assembly meeting May 3.

Until then, Vecellio said the Graduate and Professional Student Council will meet with the Transportation Services to further discuss the resolution and will stabilize a revised version of the original document.