Grounded in History

0820_GIHfootballstatue_Brad.jpg
0820_GIHfootballstatue_Brad.jpg

Twelve feet tall and cast in bronze, the statue of John David Crow, Class of 1958, stands in front of the north side of Kyle Field. Shaped by Steven Whyte, an artist based in California, the statue was dedicated in 2010 and originally stood in front of the  Bright Complex, before being moved to in front of Kyle Field in 2015. Crow became the first Aggie to win the Heisman in 1957. Crow played for the Aggies from 1955-57, then played in the NFL for 11 years. After his playing career, Crow entered coaching, but returned to A&M in 1983, when he served as the assistant athletic director from 1983-88, and athletic director from 1988-93. Crow was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1976. Crow passed away on June 17, 2015, in hospice care in Bryan, Texas, at the age of 79.

Francis Hall, built in 1918, was originally the primary building for the School Of Veterinary Medicine. The building then fell vacant, and the university chose to repurpose it. Francis Hall now holds the university’s construction science department. Facilities include a safety lab, student lounge, conference room and exposed structural systems to provide examples of construction to students. The building is noted by its historical marker for its “distinctive Romanesque style” and its exterior “Doric and Ionic capitals.” The building underwent a multimillion dollar renovation in 2014, and reopened in January of 2015. The building is named after Mark Francis, who served as a veterinary sciences professor, and later as dean of the School of Veterinary Medicine.

• 0820_GIHFrancisHall_Austin.jpg