Hallmark greets Muslims

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – Hallmark has created its first greeting cards for the Muslim holiday Eid-al-Fitr, which marks the end of the monthlong fast of Ramadan.Fasting on Ramadan is one of the five pillars, or obligations, of Islam and is one of the most important times of the year for Muslims.One of the cards includes the traditional Arabic salutation, ”Eid Mubarak,” which means ”Happy Holiday,” and also contains the message, ”May Allah bless the world with His peace and love.”Another card reads, ”Eid brings us all closer together… brothers and sisters, friends and family, united in faith, joy and thanks on this happy and blessed day. Eid Mubarak to you and yours.”The date for Ramadan is determined by a lunar calendar and is expected to begin this year some time between Oct. 25 and Oct. 27. Muslims fast from dawn to dusk, then break the fast with special meals with family and friends. On Eid-al-Fitr, Muslims also exchange gifts.The American Muslim population has grown significantly since the federal government loosened immigration restrictions in the 1960s and more U.S. companies are creating specialized products for them. Estimates of the number of American Muslims vary from 2 million to 6 million.