Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

Holt to perform ‘Black Boy’ play

In the interest of pursuing diversity on the Texas A&M campus, the College of Liberal Arts is co-sponsoring Richard Wright’s “Black Boy” at Rudder Theatre tonight at 7:30. Admission is free.
“Black Boy” is being produced by The American Place of Theaters and Literature to Life Arts Education Program.
“Black Boy,” published in 1945, is an autobiographical book that depicts the hardships and discriminations Wright was forced to deal with as a black boy growing up in the South.
Charles Holt will be the sole performer in the play, and different voices and body movements will be used with a minimum number of props. Holt will portray the life of Wright from age four to 28.
“A faculty member saw Holt in performance before and was impressed,” said Larry Oliver, assistant dean of the College of Liberal Arts.
Holt said he never felt like he belonged anywhere, but after reading “Black Boy,” he identified with the characters.
“I was instantly moved by Wright’s words,” Holt said.
Wright loved to read and write, but never had many opportunities because school was a rare luxury, and he spent most of his time taking care of himself, according to the book.
He said he wanted to give back to readers in the form of his own words.
“(Those growing up in the South) are hungry to find out what is was like in another era and are captivated by Wright’s words,” Holt said.
“Black Boy” will cover not only the aspects of physical hunger caused by lack of material needs, but also the emotional and educational hunger caused by the lack of options available to Wright during that time period, Holt said.
Oliver said he hopes the play brings diversity to A&M’s students and the city of College Station, and for that reason, local high schools have also been invited.
Holt has performed on Broadway in “The Lion King” and “Smokey Joe’s Cafe.”