Home on the range

Friday’s concert at Hurricane Harry’s marks an important step in the musical career of Texas country music favorite Roger Creager, because the performance will be showcased in his upcoming live CD. It also means his loyal Aggie fans will be treated to a rare treat – another rowdy night full of Texas country music fun.
Creager will not only be providing the avid concert-goers with an evening of music and fun, but will also be recording the music for his upcoming live album and filming for the disc’s CD-ROM supplement.
Creager says he has wanted to record a live album since 1999. When it came time to make plans for this much anticipated project, there was no doubt in his mind where to begin.
“My first instinct was College Station,” Creager said.
Other intended destinations for recording include Houston and a concert at Gruene Hall over spring break, although College Station is the only location chosen thus far for filming.
Creager began his music career in 1991 while still an A&M student, playing in a little bar in Post Oak Mall with one of his friends. Though the bar itself no longer exists, he still fondly looks back on memories of just starting out.
“You might say I cut my teeth in College Station,” he said. “(It) is where it all began; where it all started. It’s a Texas country music breeding ground.”
He explained that many see Austin as the sort of “home base” for the Texas country music artists, but he feels that that title belongs to College Station.
“It’s always been friendly to Texas country music artists,” Creager said.
Other popular names including Robert Earl Keen, Jack Ingram and Pat Green have found a home here in the A&M crowds.
“Aggies are a rowdy bunch and enjoy a good party,” Creager said.
Jyl Harrington, a resident of College Station who is a avid fan of Creager, said she is a huge Texas country fan and loves the style that Creager brings to the genre.
“He just has a great voice,” she said. “His best song is ‘Everclear.’ Everyone I know loves that song. But everything he does is equally great.”
Creager said he has spent the last several years performing all over Texas and other parts of the country. One of his favorite things to do while he performing is to look into the crowds from different cities and find Aggies in attendance. Creager said this happens at a tremendous number of his shows.
“The cool thing about Aggies is the Aggie ring,” he said. “It’s sort of like a Rolex watch; you can see it in the crowd. I can look into the crowd and pick out the Aggies. In Auburn, Ala., I saw a handful of Aggie rings. Even in Nashville …You name it, they’re there.”
Another one of Creager’s favorite concert destinations is Mexico, where he is planning an upcoming trip with his band this August.
Aside from planning that excursion, he is actively trying to expand his action and publicity outside the state and has already begun writing for his next studio album.
“Let’s face it, what we do is so much fun,” Creager said.The target release date for the upcoming live album is later this year in September.
The unveiling of the disc will be accompanied by a concert here in College Station and the usual CD release parties and other festivities that will be announced..
“Live records are considered to be for the fans,” Creager said. “It’s something cool that you do because you believe in it.”
Laura Hensley of The Eagle said Creager’s latest release, “Long Way to Mexico,” is a departure from the conventional Creager style.
“By far, ‘Long Way to Mexico’ is his most adventuresome effort yet, with Creager playing around (with) styles ranging from Texas Swing and Spanish groove to Lyle Lovett-sounding big-band and a Frank Sinatra-leaning lounge number,” she said in her Nov. 20 article.
Creager said his expectations for his upcoming performance are simple.”I’m hoping for a rip-roaring Aggie good time on Friday night,” he said.