Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Hurricane Harry’s, nearby businesses to relocate for next phase of Legacy Point

Despite almost a decade of miscommunication, the development project will continue
Photo by Ishika Samant
Weathered outdoor sign of Hurricane Harry’s on Friday, Feb. 23, 2024.

In a statement, Culpepper Realty announced businesses at Legacy Point, such as Hurricane Harry’s, will be forced to relocate. 

In 2019, Culpepper Realty released designs for Legacy Point, an area for retail spaces, a hotel, outdoor dining and more. As part of phase No. 2 for the “The Union” project, now almost a decade old, the space will be constructed in front of The Stack apartment complex located on University Drive and College Avenue. 

Culpepper said the project hopes to bridge the gap between Northgate and Century Square.

Plans for The Union project from Culpepper Realty. (Via culpepperrealty.com)

At the time, the plans did not mention if the current businesses in the area — Hurricane Harry’s, Starforge Foundry, Piranha Fitness and Rooster’s Bike & Coffee Shop — will be removed or incorporated into the new designs. All businesses rent their space from Culpepper. 

Culpepper Realty has owned the property for more than 40 years, according to a 2012 WTAW interview with the company president’s mother. However, Culpepper confirmed that all tenants will be relocating.

In a statement to The Battalion on Feb. 23, the developers of Legacy Point said construction is planned to begin by March 2025 for a new phase of development, including more student housing and retail.

Culpepper said all current tenants plan to remain fully operable until then.

Culpepper said it will be partnering with LV Collective, a developer of other large-scale student housing in Austin. Culpepper said initial feedback from student focus groups was positive and receptive to their partnership on Legacy Point.

“With a prime location and proximity to campus, this development will revitalize and renew the area, bringing new, unique housing and retail to complement the success of Century Square,” the statement from Culpepper Realty says.

In multiple public statements since 2012, current tenants in the newly proposed areas have repeatedly refuted the idea that their businesses would be closing.

In January, Hurricane Harry’s owner Jack McGregor was interviewed by The Eagle, who said the project would not be continuing

“The project has been canceled for quite some time,” McGregor said to The Eagle. “… It was a proposal that the Culpepper people had five years ago … There’s nothing in the works as far as I know.”

Culpepper’s statement said it has “kept [Hurricane Harry’s] updated about this development through regular communication.” It also said it has maintained close contact with other nearby business owners. 

In the same release, nearby business Piranha Fitness Studio said it is accepting of the future developments.

“This is where it all began,” the statement reads. “We are grateful to Bryan-College Station for embracing and supporting us when we started in 2011, and we look forward to their support as we step into this next chapter. Piranha is excited to keep serving BCS.”

Editor’s note: Representatives of Culpepper Realty and Hurricane Harry’s both declined to interview prior to publication.

View Comments (1)