Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Cernousek captures individual national title as Aggies advance to NCAA quarterfinals

It didn’t take long for Texas A&M athletics to add another accolade to its trophy case. Just a day after the Aggies’ women’s tennis...

Hussey recognized for service to A&M

Mark+Hussey
Photos by Mary Reyes
Mark Hussey

Interim President Mark Hussey and his wife Melissa were recognized in a ceremony Wednesday for their service to Texas A&M University as Hussey prepares to step down from his post.

Hussey has served as A&M’s interim president for just over 14 months. Once Michael K. Young takes over the presidency, Hussey will return to his position as the dean of Agriculture and Life Sciences, which he has held since 2008.

Hussey said serving as interim president has been an incredible experience.

“My wife Melissa and I are both incredibly honored to be serving in this role,” Hussey said. “I’m extremely appreciative to the chancellor and the Board of Regents for their confidence in me, and I truly enjoyed the faculty, the students and the former students we’ve gotten to meet during the past year.”

Quince Adams, distinguished history professor, said working with Hussey has been a pleasure.

“Could we work with this man? God, yes,” Adams said. “He was wonderful to work with, and I think our incoming president, President Young, looks splendid, and if he is as easy to work with as Dr. Hussey was we are all in high cotton.”

Student Body President Kyle Kelly said Hussey did not just keep the seat warm as interim president.

“He has led us through transition,” Kelly said. “And he will continue to lead as we welcome Michael Young at A&M. In his time at A&M he has not just kept everything, but he has bettered everything from our mission, teaching and research, to the A&M experience for students. So I am very appreciative for having the opportunity to serve with him.”

Austin Munns, student worker in the president’s office and electrical engineering sophomore, said Hussey is always there for the students.

“I can tell you he is a nice guy,” Munns said. “He cares about the students, truly. He takes time to say hello to us students in the office, ask about our educational experience, ask about our homework.”

Still, Munns said he is excited about the future.

“I’m excited personally about this transition, meeting [Young] and welcoming him to Aggieland,” Munns said.

Jim Woosley, Faculty Senate speaker, said freshmen and sophomores have been lucky to have Hussey as an interim president.  

“As a new student who hasn’t seen any other presidents, you’ve seen a good one,” Woosley said. “He has been very very concerned with the students and also developing the university as a whole. And every aspect, and every day, every hour he is working for you guys.”

Hussey said the best thing about being interim president is the people he has had the opportunity to meet.

“People have asked me what is the most memorable thing you are going to take from this, and it’s the people,” Hussey said. “It’s truly the people, and whether you are a current student, a former student, a staff member or faculty, you are all extremely special to both my wife and me.”

Hussey ended the reception by saying “thank you.”

“We have lots of memories, but most importantly we had your friendship,” Hussey said. “Thank you so much for that, that you for making our lives so special over the past 14 months.”

• Mark Hussey

Photos by Mary Reyes