Inform, Inspire in Women’s History Month

Womens+Month
Photo by Graphic by Rachel Grant
Women’s Month

From Rosie the Riveter to the women at marches across the world this year, the month of March provides the nation a time to reflect on the women in history who made honorable achievements in all aspects of equality.  

Beginning in March of 1987, Women’s History Month provides the nation an opportunity to remember women’s historical achievements and promote future female leaders. According to womenshistorymonth.gov, Congress originally began proclaiming that a week in march would be women’s history week. After turning it into a full month in 1987, in 1988 Congress passed additional resolutions giving the power to the President to sign off on every March being designated as “Women’s History Month.”

In the balance between the progression made for women and what has yet to progress, Ashley Justynski, Vice President of Feminism 4 Aggies, recognizes the importance of Women’s History month.

“Women’s History Month is important to me because it is important to recognize the efforts of women nationally and internationally, that have contributed to the betterment of women and to the world in general,” Justynski said. “I find it also important to recognize the struggles and oppression women are still currently facing and find ways to take action in order to change that.”

Andrea Delorimier, President of Feminism 4 Aggies, said that Women’s History month is an opportunity to highlight accomplishments of important women.  

“Since women weren’t allowed to create history for so long, it’s nice to be able to celebrate all the ways women have impacted the world,” Delorimier said. “I think it’s a good way to remind ourselves of how far women have come, and how much further we have to go too.”

Katlyn Riggin, head executive of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) at Texas A&M and the head planner of the International Women’s Day Conference for this year, believes that Aggies can become involved in their own community to promote women’s history month.

“I didn’t know a lot about women’s history month until later in high school, and I didn’t really know a reason to celebrate it until I realized that most of the American holidays that we get days off are for male achievements, which are great– but I don’t feel like we give enough time to the amazing women that have kind of paved the way for modern women in our society,” Riggin said.

The AAUW started the International women’s conference about 5 years ago. Riggin said that she finds it to be important for Aggies to be exposed to the vast amount of accomplishments that women have made all around the world and hear the viewpoints of Aggieland from international students.

“We started the International Women’s Day Conference just as a way that we thought was important for Aggies to be exposed to the vast amount of accomplishments that women have made all around the world, and that we continue to make,” Riggin said.

Feminism 4 Aggies co-programed Texas A&M’s International Women’s Day conference as their first year as an organization in 2015 and will again this year.

“Each year, the discussions we have are very eye opening,” Justynki said. “I look forward to experiencing that again this year.”

Delorimier said that she is looking forward to the progress made during the conference through discussion.

“I think in a time that feels scary to a lot of women, it’s exciting to be able to attend a conference designed to empower each other and discuss ideas,” Delorimier said. “It’s definitely uplifting to know that there is this kind of event on campus to promote equality and the accomplishments of women.”

In addition to advocating women’s viewpoints on a global scale during the International Women’s Day conference and the AAUW, Riggin believes that these issues can be promoted with the help of men on campus.

“I really feel like we need to get more men involved. As women we can advocate on behalf of women’s issues and what we do is important, but sometimes that might mean that other people might not listen,” Riggin said. “Men at this university can realize that they have a voice, and people listen to them, and they feel comfortable speaking up for these issues, I think that would help a lot.”

Education and discussion are the key to celebrate Women’s History Month.

“If we are able to inform them, like with this conference, I think that is a great stepping stone to have our voices heard and to have this month celebrated,” Riggin said.