It’s official: Clinton is running for president in 2016

Hillary+Clinton
Provided
Hillary Clinton

Putting to rest the speculation that has surrounded her the last few years, Hillary Clinton announced Sunday afternoon she will officially run for president in 2016.

The former secretary of state, senator and first lady announced her bid for candidacy via a video titled “Getting Started.” The two-and-a-half minute video depicts Americans getting started on different projects or taking new steps in their own lives, before Clinton comes on screen.

“I’m running for president,” Clinton said near the end of the video. “Everyday Americans need a champion, and I want to be that champion. So you can do more than just get by, you can get ahead, and stay ahead, because when families are strong America is strong.”

Clinton’s announcement comes a couple of weeks after Sen. Ted Cruz’s announcement  and just days afterSen. Rand Paul also announced his bid. 

Now that her candidacy has been formally announced, Clinton’s next stop on her campaign trail will be first-to-vote Iowa, as she looks to connect with voters on a more personal level.

“So I’m hitting the road to earn your vote, because it’s your time and I hope you’ll join me on this journey,” Clinton said in the video.